Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Human Nature (poem)


Destiny will forever remain my greatest enemy
As it weaves a pathway that leads back to you and me
Three years have passed and I finally found my last broken piece
Picked it up in celebration only to find it in your hand refusing to release
The haunting memories of my greatest past,
have finally resurfaced in a shadow that’s been darkly cast
Unconsciously now, I’m remembering every look, every touch
Carelessly forgetting how the pain you once left me in was far too much
The delusional desire to get back to you has completely taken over
And the irony resides within the fact,
that I’ve pinched myself hard enough to know I’m awake and sober
My fingers are on standby to write you the greatest letter
My imagination continues dreaming on how this time it could be better
The remnants of my broken heart unanimously agree,
that I owe it to myself to at least confront you about what we used to be
After all, you never gave me a reason why
Just a mere electronic hello and goodbye
We’ve been given 1,095 days to spend apart
And frankly, let me say, I told no one that deep inside I wanted us to restart
I took on the role of the dignified and dumped
Carried my pride while secretly I felt stumped
Never in my life did I fall in love like I did with you
And my tiny hearts have never found any other that seemed true
Never found another man to linger so vulnerably near
Never found a pair of eyes that dwelled upon me in a love so clear
Never found a soul that intertwined with mine so well
Never found another that could read me like a book with every story to tell
So please, do tell
Why can’t it be all right to fall back under your perfect spell?
To be the bravest soldier and fight for my right
of having your spirit that I loved back in my sights
Remember every moment that we ever shared?
I know you do,
because it was only human nature when you showed me how much you cared
So just know that now it’s only human nature to want to come crawling back to you
Because it’s only human nature to believe in the hopes that you want me back too