Thursday, February 6, 2020

Traversing Grief

It's been a while since I've written and posted and that's probably because I've been marginalizing the processing of grief, while suddenly being thrown two new packages of grief to carry. Life is like that, isn't it?

My publisher called me yesterday morning and I could hear the smile in his voice. "Guess what I'm looking at right now?" he asks me. I assumed it was the payment receipt for the money I sent him to pre-order author copies of my newest book. "Nope!" he said. "I'm looking at a live link online of Contortionist Tongue. It's official. You're published." A let out a tiny squeal, did my small penguin dance, and told myself I was allowed to relish in small (or large) moments of joy.

What makes it difficult to fully immerse in the joy of this coming third baby of mine is obviously my dad's absence. Who will be the first man to hold my book when it used to always be him? Who will thumb through its pages and nod his head in impressive approval? Who will wish me good luck on its growth and success? I'm sure there are multiple answers to these questions, but they will all be different than dad. However, I will appreciate them no less, and I am abundantly grateful to the supporters who have shown their pride, love, and enthusiasm for my upcoming book and for my work as a whole. Thank you!

I invite those who are available or interested to join my family and I at the official launch and signing of my newest book, Contortionist Tongue, from Moon Tide Press. This collection is a vulnerable but fierce illustration of what it's like to be a Syrian woman, navigating the roads of love, home, and hope, in today's turbulent socio-political climate.

The event will be on Saturday, March 14th 2020 at 6 p.m. at one of my absolute favorite coffee shops in Downtown Orange called Contra Coffee & Tea - 115 N Orange St. 92866.

Tickets are $20 and include a copy of Contortionist Tongue and can be purchased here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/contortionist-tongue-book-launch-signing-tickets-91177824327?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

Further details are available in the flyer attached. It would be so wonderful to share this new chapter of my life with you all and celebrate the blessing that is possible only with the foundation my father built for me!