Thursday, July 1, 2010

REAL Men Are Hard to Find

Although "A Midnight's Story" still has the final part coming along on paper, I decided to take a small break from it and post up a new issue that's been on my mind quite some time ... something I saw happen right before me and I just sat there in awe crossing my fingers that it would never happen to me.

"Honey!" he cried holding it out in front of him. It being his daughter, held at the tip of his fingers in his outstretched arms. "Honey! I think someone needs a diaper change!" He thinks?? He thinks someone needs a diaper change? I don't think he was really thinking at that moment. But I was. I was thinking, why couldn't he hold his daughter more properly, especially in front of guests, instead of acting like her poop was some radioactive material that contaminated his "precious angel" he was just showing off 72 seconds ago?

I was also thinking, what gave him the daring to call out to his wife (who had just delivered the baby two weeks prior) to come and change the diaper when he was energetic and fine and had not held the baby in his stomach for nine months and 27 hours of delivery.

Was he not MAN enough? Oh yeah! I went there! Because someone really needs to. It becomes so tiring to see it happen over and over. And they say (not sure who they are, but they do say) that men of THIS generation are more open minded and nurturing and are more involved in their children's lives but I have yet to see it. I do however see a man come to the woman's rescue by taking the child when ...

1. they want to show it off to family, friends, coworkers
2. their wife gives them that look of "Do it or else ..."

Even if the child were to be nearing some sort of danger, opening the front door and leaving, pulling the tablecloth that has heavy things on it, I see it. The man is still on the couch, 97% focused on whether or not Kobe's about to make the three-pointer and 3% on the potential danger ahead. And all he manages to say is, "Honey!" again.

It makes me cringe to see it all continuing. How can they call that manhood? When they're not men/man enough to do things. Going to the gym, staying late at work, keeping up with the NBA does not make you a man ... honey!

His wife walked in, dead tired, eyes drowning beneath black bags and dark circles, barely able to carry the full baby bag. She gracefully took her daughter and held her to her chest and walked over to a corner to begin the changing process. He immediately went back to his conversation almost as if nothing happened. And she continued to change the diaper lovingly talking to her baby daughter. He couldn't do that? Or at the least, hold his daughter properly?

If only the line was drawn at children. It extends to food, tea, clothes, packing, and so much more. There's a fine line between love and between laziness and I just can't cross it, let alone allow it to be crossed (just the way I feel). Why can't a man ever change his own child's diapers? Clothes? Why can't a man ever notice that his woman is a bit tired and would like a break without her having to say so? Why can't a man ever just decide "I'd like to give her a change and I'll make dinner/do the laundry/watch the kids today." What about the least of the least? A really kind and heartfelt word?

I hear it a lot today, women are marrying later. People ask why. I laugh. It's no real mystery. It's hard to say "Yes!" when you look around and realize that maybe men are nonexistent. Some may be a bit confused, but don't confuse men for guys/males/boys. Two completely different things. Because I've met both and there's a big difference. You see the maturity, the respect, the commitment a MAN has to offer (it's rare, trust me) and then you see the games, the disrespect, the advantage those others have to offer.

It's not easy, and men/males/guys/boys reading this, don't get me wrong, there will be many posts to come about how women are a bit messed up at times too ... but the males always seem to find a way to do something stupid and take their place on the front page of annoyances. Just like this man did, right in front of me, as I sat on his couch, only there to take care of his wife and pay her a visit to see how she was doing.

And then after all, don't men love to be the best, #1, the dominant? Well to earn that title and position you've got to be able to do both what a man and woman can do! And I've found that usually women end up doing the male and female roles these days. So may real men are truly hard to find!