Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Oceans & Flames




It is with utmost gratitude that I announce I am now a proud author of a second poetry book. Nine years after releasing my debut poetry book, 91 at 19, I have finally published Oceans & Flames. This book, also a poetry anthology, highlights the work I found myself creating amidst my experience with and survival of domestic abuse.

Most people (if not all) were unaware during the situation, myself included. It took a few months after my divorce to recognize what I had actually been in and what it was that I got out of; to digest and process all of that took a long time and poetry was my greatest catharsis.

To compile these words together and read the ebb and flow of emotion, along with the intricately spot on illustrations created by my best friend and fellow Syrian American Artist, Sama Wareh, was remarkably overwhelming. It gave me greater goose bumps than when I was 19 and feeling the smooth glossy red cover of my first publication.

I want to hand it to Sama, who patiently worked alongside me on drafting perfectly coordinated images to the words; graphics that would align the pain with the beauty, darkness with light, oceans and flames.

I also want to thank my beautiful cousin Dima A.K. for doing the design of the book in a matter of days and keeping me on my publication deadline.

Lastly, my amazing family and their phenomenal patience with my transition—especially my mom and for her hearing me say, “I promise I’ll start editing your book as soon as I publish Oceans and Flames.”

Promise kept mama!

Copies of Oceans and Flames are now available on CreateSpace and will be available on Amazon early September. To purchase, click here: https://www.createspace.com/7240033.

Love,

Lady Narrator