Monday, August 7, 2017

Syrian Summer: We're Back

-->

She poured the coffee into tiny ceramic cups from the cupboard of her hotel suite. I wondered why I never drink this coffee when I’m in America, as my grandmother leveled off the four cups. "Do you like cardamom?" she asked. "I do," I replied, and she continued to let the little cream colored droplets of cardamom fall in to my cup. The smell was intoxicatingly beautiful and I knew it had a certain charm here in the Middle East than it did in California; and as I sipped it slowly to the gorgeous view of the sea and listened to my father's mother share stories, I held back more tears.

I had already cried on the drive from the airport to the hotel, taking in the perfection that is home. Sure, it's not Syria, but it's so close and resembles it somewhat, and technically these countries were all one once, so we are one. At least, I wish we could remember that more often because we Arabs seem to be better at division than at rounding up together.

Nonetheless, I savored in the messy traffic, reckless driving, honking, colorful lights and Arabic billboards, and it was immense that it sent me to tears and yet again I questioned my capability to leave at the end of this "three week" trip. Last year it was supposed to be six weeks and it turned into three months. This year I have school, work and applications but somehow, that all seems moot in comparison to sharing coffee and laughter with family in the Arab world.

I hate distance, as much as I hate war.

The news played in the background, a common setting in every Arab household. A story about Trump appeared and I remembered how a year ago, in Syria, I watched election drama with utmost conviction that he'd never win. Syrians around me however, carried opposing convictions and we Americans caught ourselves quite the curve ball from left field.

"The state of humanity," we all sighed as news story after news story left us shaking our heads. My grandmother began telling us a story about a neighbor of hers in Damascus, who was originally from a Bedouin village on the outskirts of Aleppo, who hadn't been able to see or visit her hometown and family since the war. Then, a couple of weeks ago, she decided to make the journey and take her children to go see their mother's hometown and their grandparents.

On average, a trip from Damascus to Aleppo is roughly four hours. Last year we learned that because of closures and checkpoints, it has become an approximate 8-9 hours. But this woman's journey differed. Her village was an hour outside of Aleppo but it took her another ten hours via bus to arrive because the typical route was under pressure from battles between three groups trying to gain control.

The poor woman and her children traveled almost 20 hours on the road to see family in a rural village for a couple of days, then traveled the same distance in return. She said it took her three days of sleep to recover but the ache of realization lasted a lot longer—grasping the damage this war has caused.

A sad silence filled the room as we took in this story. "Did you enjoy your dinner last night?" she asked, alluding to our midnight escapade for authentic shawarma. America, I’m sorry, but you ain't doing it right because one bite into that hot and juicy chicken shawarma from Abu Waseem's joint and I died and came back reincarnated as the same woman, lavishing in the same sandwich. (And I’ve been off meat for almost two year now yet I still make an exception for this perfection—I paid the price later but it was worth it.)

Abu Waseem is a Syrian man who owned a shawarma shop in Damascus, really close to my dad's family's house. A few years ago he left and came to Lebanon and opened up shop in the downtown area and O. M. G. We each inhaled a foot long piece of perfection with freshly cut fries, legitimate hummus (something else I can't find in America) and pickles. Oh the amount of pleasure it brought to our souls. It's tradition. Upon landing in Syria (now Lebanon), the first thing we do is get shawarma, with a can of Ugarit soda, and dive in to home. No one cares what time we land or how tired we are from the 16+ hour journey, this tradition is never to be broken.

Honking cars overpowered the news as we finished up the coffee. I took in the cups and washed them, returning to hear another story about the Arab nations.

"We fell apart when we became more concerned with ourselves than with our neighbors. There's a story about how outsiders knew we were now susceptible to becoming overpowered." My grandmother continued, "The outsiders would send in spies to scope out the environments, and their best means of assessment were markets.” Whether this was a true story or a parable, I was hooked. “One time they entered our Arab markets and began purchasing a variety of products and then asked for a certain item. The salesman said he didn't have it in stock but his neighbor did a few shops down. They told him they'd return when he restocks, to which he said no. He expressed that he was grateful to have received his fair share from them today and would be much obliged to see his neighbor receive some business. The outsiders left and returned after some time had passed and repeated the process in the market. This time however, when the salesman said he was out of stock, he asked them to wait while we went to go obtain the item and sell it to them. That's when they knew priorities of the land had changed. The people were now divisible when they put themselves above their community."

As she wrapped up the story, I felt a shiver run up and down my spine. This story still gives me goose bumps as I write it out now. It speaks volumes, even if only a metaphorical figurative level. It had only been a few hours in the Arab world but I knew, this trip was bound to bring about some very meaningful lessons—ones I was ready to take and learn from after the whirlwind of a year I encountered.

Here’s to my Syrian Summer!