Friday, March 4, 2016

Six Weeks in Syria: Dying Wish


March 2nd 2016

Dying Wish

A crisp white envelope arrived for my grandfather a few days ago with his name in shiny black type written across it. He opened it to reveal a very classy and elegantly printed 5x7 card—still in black and white like the envelope. A nearby Arabic Language and Culture Institute was hosting a panel session on the importance of preserving the mother tongue (native language) which, for them, is Arabic.
{Sidebar: Where did this etiquette go? This classy and formal regard for hosting and inviting? What has happened to our generation; us milliennials or Gen X or Gen Y? I’m somewhat ashamed to be part of them. They are the ones who have produced poorly worded Facebook invites that include a “Maybe” option in the responses which technically translates to, “Yeah, I’m diagnosed with the FOMO disease (Fear of Missing Out) and therefore will bookmark your effort filled event and see if anything better comes along from now till about the hour before your event. Then I’ll decide if I want to come, because I don’t respect you or myself.”}
Having always been a fan and lover of the Arabic language—though I am no linguistics expert—I told my grandfather that I wanted to go. He was surprised that both his daughter and granddaughter were eager to attend what he considered something that may have bored us.
We arrived to a large white marble building with a small staircase that led into a dimly lit lobby where a tanned woman with the brightest green eyes was serving coffee with a smile. My grandfather enjoyed his small cup as my mother and I savored the Arabian taste of the art that decorated this hallway and the auditorium where the panel was being held.
It was gold, in all senses. Gold and wood colors weaved into Arabian geometric patterns, intertwining various verses from the Quran that reflected on the significance of knowledge. What so many fail to notice is that the Quran constantly emphasizes the value of education in life, as well as the necessity of using your logic. We sat in velvet like red very comfortable chairs in a room that started to fill. My grandfather, caught somewhere between his many endearing friends in their 80s and 90s, was making his way towards us.
A man, from the same generation as my grandfather’s, slowly made his way to the stage. To me, he was adorable. Most of the attendees were. I admired their passion, drive and dedication to pursuing not only the attendance of this very important matter, but also in hosting it, at their age. But that was the first problem: No Youth.
As the session began, with the host speaking followed by the two guest speakers, who each gave a phenomenal and straight to the point talk on the dwindling status of the Arabic language in today’s generation, I began feeling the heartbreak. Alongside this very painful war, the older generation of educated intellects and investors in this country are watching the next group of people grow up in the comfort of knowing nothing but colloquial Arabic. I thought this was a phenomenon of concern only for those of us Arabs who grew up outside of the Arab world. Had my parents not invested the time and effort of ensuring that my brothers and I go to school and learn Arabic, we would have been like the many others I know who cannot even read the letters.
The truth of the matter is, the real Arabic is that in its original classical form, known as Fuss-ha. Today, Fuss-ha is found in Arabic books, the Quran and on the news. Many shows and movies have either been translated or dubbed into colloquial Arabic, making it easier for the younger crowd to easily distance from Fuss-ha. I could sense the frustration of the speaker when he shared this point.
While to many this is no big deal (aren’t y’all still speaking Arabic?), it is in fact a great big deal. Fuss-ha is the authentic root of our cultures and knowledge in the Arab world. Our countries are being dismantled for what seems to be far too many hidden agendas, one of which is most likely an effort to destroy our adherences to our culture and its root. To me, the dismantling of this skill in my parents’ generation and even more so in mine, is the attempt to dismantle Arabs in their entirety. And are we not seeing that today, everywhere?
Did anyone even know that UNESCO marked February 21st as International Mother Language Day, where all native tongues are to be celebrated? Did anyone know that in some foreign colleges (and by foreign here, I’m referring to outside of the Middle East), you can actually take different Arabic dialects and have that counted as credits towards different languages? I heard about that six or seven years ago and it was infuriating because it was a clear attempt at creating a divide within Arabs and their root language. It’s as pathetic as taking courses in Californian, Texan and New Jersey accents and claiming you can speak three languages!
The beauty of Fuss-ha is that it is the universal unifying factor of Arabs everywhere and anywhere, regardless of religion. Now it is slowly dying out and no one but these older men and women cared. What happens when they and their passions are gone? Where is the younger crowd to learn of the value and then take on the mission to uphold their language?
That was what my mom asked, after she raised her to hand and walked to the microphone. People were impressed and asking the same thing.
I started to remember the community where I grew up, and this innate competitiveness among the members about whose dialect and culture is better or more accurate. 
--> Recently I was exposed to the depths of another culture and learned to bite my Syrian tongue around them and speak English in order to keep from offending anyone since everything had morphed into perverted meanings. I swear to God, I couldn’t say “allergic” or “woman” without inadvertently and unknowingly referring to sex or sluts in their dialect and at one point I got extremely frustrated. How had language devolved into such ugly depths? The same exact words I use in Syrian for those two are actually found in the Quran and are therefore accurate.
On the drive home, in the extreme crowd of Damascus—a majority of the population from the outskirts of the city had migrated inwards from the war for safer living—I felt like I needed to stay and strengthen my Fuss-ha. I needed to stay and help empower this next group of worn down men and women.
In an effort to expedite this dilution of the language, somewhere in history the term “Mother Language” was redefined to simply mean the language you grew up with, rather than its authentic meaning of Fuss-ha. Therefore, many Arabs have been led to believe that their colloquial is enough. But it’s not and the concern now is about raising awareness on this very dire issue.
How can our Arab youth be injected (for lack of a better term) with this same burning passion for the language’s preservation as that of their grandparents? Just imagine, if my parent’s generation can read, write and understand Fuss-ha but rarely speak it, what will my generation do? We can barely understand it or write it but we can slightly read it. What about those that come after us? Smoking hookah and having a shawarma sandwich while saying, “Habibi” and “Yallah” does not really constitute.
The scariest part of all this is that Syrians here, amid war and turmoil, still placed value on this great concern because they recognize the connection. That is something extremely weighty for us to notice and work on worldwide. Syrians are genuinely afraid of being extinguished and they are seeing this right before their eyes, physically and linguistically.
For the remaining Arabs everywhere else, wake up and value your heritage and roots. Uphold and appreciate what is being taken away from you in your sleep. Stop these divides and hold true to what matters. The dying breed of Syrians has this as their wish.