Thursday, March 31, 2016

Six Weeks in Syria: Third World Productions

Does this car look like it was just in a fender bender 24 hours ago?

March 31st 2016
Third World Productions

Howling winds have been the soul mates of our dark nights these past few days, meshing with the loud booms and shakes of cannon fires. No one really complains (although it’s tempting sometimes when you’re trying to keep warm). We had a family recently visit us from Aleppo and they told us—after eight hours of driving through rubble and checkpoints—that they get two hours of electricity every ten days. The same goes for their running water. So we sat in silence tonight then decided sleep was the best solution.

I can’t sleep though, because both my mind and my ears are on overload. The extreme dichotomy that exists here is about to send me into some type of shock. Outside my window right now, at midnight every café on the rooftop of the swanky hotel is blasting music loudly, as it has for three hours already, like it does every night since we arrived. My grandmother, mother and I looked out the balcony in amazement at the sights and sounds. Balloons and birthday songs (five times), old Arabic songs from my childhood, wedding songs, classic Arabic songs, people howling and clapping, and much more. I realized nothing has changed and nothing will ever change as long as Arabs stay this way.

Life goes on, I know, it needs to in order to rebuild and find stability, but why aren’t Syrians capitalizing on what they have?

Our car was in a fender bender last week that left our bumper out of place, badly chipped and the tail light smashed. No one was hurt and the poor girl that hit the car still apologizes to me every time I see her. Here’s the kicker. I got into a car accident almost two years ago that left my baby Kia Optima in the same exact predicament. The lovely gents at the body shop informed me that I would not have a car for six weeks and no one but little old me would have to pay for a rental. Six weeks of renting a car is no walk in the park, but thanks to work and 100 miles of daily driving, I had no choice. Exactly six weeks later, my car was back and in pristine condition. No matter how much I had asked for the possibility of expediting the process, I got shot down.

Guess how long it took our car to be repaired here? Come on, take a guess. No more than three hours. Guess what else? They did not, I repeat, did not, charge us to replace the entire bumper (as every single other manipulative car body shop does) because they actually repaired the bumper itself, reassembled it to its proper position, gave it a nice paint touch up, and then replaced the cap on the tail light. That’s it. My mom and I had to pick up our jaws from the floor as we stared at the car that less than 24 hours earlier was wrecked.

We have legitimate talents and resourcefulness here in Syria. Syrians find garbage and make it useful treasure, I kid you not. The tarps from aid organizations are turned into blankets, tents and umbrellas that provide shade for pickle kiosks. A little girl at the shelter turned the large crate that carried the food, into her own clothes rack. Syria was that one place that decided to create something itself instead of succumbing to corporate foreign ownership.

It breaks my heart to know that such raw talent and wisdom exists among the land with streets and streets of free flowing trash. Since I was a child I hated this the most about Syria; the never ending trash all over because littering isn’t technically illegal. Everyone’s excuse about why they don’t care when tossing their tissue or soda bottle in the middle of street? I’m just one person; my refrained trash isn’t going to make a difference.

Yes, yes it is. You are one person and therefore one current of change. You don’t know who may see you and learn to do the same. You don’t know how your child will perceive your action to patiently hold your empty cup of hot chocolate in your hands despite the long trip until you find a bin. You don’t know how you can empower a group of your friends who care so much about their country to start a weekly clean up organization that does the dirty work and raises awareness.

Daily I am hearing, “There are no jobs,” but I visibly see numerous jobs around every corner. Not just picking up trash, but almost every store I pass has an Arabic HELP WANTED sign on their door. The problem is this pride that a job at a sandwich-making job is beneath me so I would rather starve and let my family suffer. Cleaning homes is low class work and I’m not going to even think about it.

Jobs exist here right and left, people need to just open their eyes. I don’t think Arabs are trained to have a social radar, as in that altruistic focus of what does the world need from me today. Syria’s needs are throbbing each second and yet nothing really happens.

I’m not saying the good has run out—I mean just the other day a man saw us stopped in our car by our entrance and knocked on our window to let us know he’s parked a few cars down and is leaving if we want his spot. We all “awwwwwed” in the car because if you’ve seen Syria on a regular non-crisis year, driving and parking is a nightmare, so just imagine what it’s turned into now—I’m only saying there needs to be a greater effort of physical change. Simply cupping your hands and uttering a few words to God nonchalantly aren’t going to bring about change. And this change is for those Syrians here in Syria and those outside. I know a woman who has personally cut down her meals into more modest portions to save up funds and donate to refugees. I know another woman who has vowed to not attend weddings/parties and I tagged along with that effort as well. I couldn’t get myself to dress up, doll up and then dance the night away while other Arab girls were getting married in shelters and underground basements beneath missiles and gunshots. I have quite a few friends who got utterly offended but I really didn’t care. I found it offensive that they got offended.

This was the key reason behind my refusal to host a wedding. I didn’t want the ballroom, the DJ, the music, the three course meals, the dance floor. All I really wanted was jeans and a t-shirt on stage saying our vows at the same spot our “love” initiated the year prior. I did, with the inclusion of a dress. I did face a lot of heat though, by everyone. “You’re not going to have a cake? A private ballroom so you can have your hair done? It’s going to be outdoors at some festival? What the heck!?! You’re not going to feed people?”

Nah bro, I wanted to feed starving Palestinian and Syrian children. I wanted to start my ever after on the right foot, not the debt foot. I’m not saying we should be miserable, I am saying we should be MOVED! There are so many steps towards change that can be done, so many talents and dreams that could be manifested in volunteerism to better help this nation. The problem is Arabs—especially Syrians as I have seen all my life—find it beneath them to volunteer. It’s a shame or something. Me? Do something for free? Why waste my time?

Then on top of that, they laugh off significant jobs that need to done because it’s not up to par with their supposed class. Me clean the streets and the parks? Me help someone clean their homes? That’s not my status.

Fine, if it’s beneath you to do the tangible work yourself, how about learning to minimize the extravagance? Does every woman need to do her hair at the salon? Does everyone need to celebrate their birthday in an utterly obnoxious and loud party for 30 people at a café till midnight with hookah and a live musician and food for miles that is getting thrown away every time? Do people need to throw over the top weddings where so much more is wasted? I mean is it really hard to empathize just a little bit with your brothers and sisters in Aleppo or Homs or Hama and maybe have a modest ceremony in your homes with your close loved ones? I just can’t wrap my head around it.

To be honest my fellow peeps, here and abroad, until hard labor becomes your status and you put your ego and pride behind you, you will never find peace and success. You will only water the faulty seeds planted in you and the many generations before you.