Sunday, March 20, 2016

Six Weeks in Syria: Forced Goodbyes

-->
March 16th 2016

Forced Goodbyes

I made a list and titled it Things I Miss from California. The list turned out to be shorter than I expected but here was all I could muster:

·       Unlimited access to episodes of MONK on DVR
·       Clorox Wipes
·       Disneyland
·       Boba
·       Freedom/Privacy

My mom said all were moot except the last one, but I have to tell you, Clorox Wipes are monumental necessities here. Actually, even the Swiffer family is needed here. Anyway, I digress. The point is I surprised myself with how much this amazing country, Syria, can give me. So much so that I can easily do without the many things I consider necessities in my daily life halfway across the world.

The riches are immeasurable and I have begun contemplating the programs I could develop and implement for the new generation of Syrians that I have met at the shelters and the orphanages. If I even dared to dream of making a list of what I would miss of Syria, I would publish series and series of never ending novels.

I would miss the birds that awaken me every morning with the sun, singing in a carefreeness to be envied. I would miss the mosques that each call for the five daily worships in a collage of sounds that are absolute music to my ears. I would miss the taste of Dolly’s ketchup (way better than Heinz and the only ketchup I actually eat) on fresh fries and pizza. I would miss my grandfather’s study, my absolute favorite room on this entire planet, despite the itchy green couch. I would miss the atmosphere of being around my culture. I would miss the centuries and centuries of significant history that is etched on every wall, every block, every cobblestone path leading to buildings that house our greatest talents. The values are endless and I am so blessed to be able to witness the continuation of these values despite the grave difficulty weighing down upon every corner of this nation.

When I was a child, I would have dreams that were agonizing to awaken from. I would see myself back in Syria, in its scents and sounds, in the bed down the hall from my grandparent’s room, next to my cousin, staying up all night laughing till the tears streamed down our faces, and living in utter contentment. I’d open my eyes to a California sun and cry daily until a month or two later I had finally readjusted. Around my later adolescent years, my dad taught me to look at it differently when he said, “Think of it like this. You’re blessed to have two homes to go to.” I loved that notion and it became my sacred mantra—just like André Parrot’s beautiful quote on Syria.

Somehow though, I can already sense that phase returning, and when this forced goodbye is ripped from me, it may take a very very long time before the wound closes. Every exhibition we’ll host for A Country Called Syria will become even more difficult to host but even more necessary. It will be like rehashing an unwanted breakup with the most important partner of my life.

I’m going to miss daily lunch at 2:00 p.m. (sharp!) with my grandparents, who spend a good majority of it concerned over my eating habits—supposedly I do not eat enough because isn’t that what all grandparents believe? I love them! And I love the afternoon chats with each of them over cups and cups of freshly brewed assorted teas. Green, earl grey, herbal blends, cardamom, orange cinnamon, chamomile and more—all sprinkled with honey or sugar.

My grandmother left to get ready for a wake she had to attend. In the last three weeks we’ve been informed of three deaths, all of whom were individuals from my grandparents’ peers and I can sense it is taking the greatest toll on them. Witnessing one after the other leave this earth. My grandfather, mother and I remained seated around the dining table, sipping extremely hot teas.

“What story shall I tell you today?” my grandfather asked, breaking the silence in the air. I smiled and let him know that any story would be more than welcome. So he began a tale that left both my mother and I with goose bumps.

On a business trip in America in the 70s, my grandfather hopped into a cab and encountered a very unique driver. He described him as a young man, in his 30s, and I chuckled at the double standard of our culture. At 30 or so, a man is young while a woman, at this age, is nowhere near young.

His exotic look intrigued my grandfather enough to ask him of his origins. “Well, I was born and raised here in America, but my grandfather is from Aleppo.” It was music to my grandfather’s ears, having lived in Aleppo and married a woman from there too.

This opened the door for a gleeful exchange of information on history, backgrounds and work. My grandfather learned that this young man was actually a small business owner, trying to make ends meet. In order to better embellish his income to help start a family, he took on a second job as a cab driver.

The three of us felt the same admiration for this man. For a few minutes we fixated on his work ethic and strength, a quality definitely worth esteeming. It reminded me of the many displaced families and refugees that are beginning to take the first steps necessary to rebuild their lives.

“When we reached my stop, I offered him $500.”

“WHAT?!?!” my mother and I both squealed at the same time. “$500?!?!” He nodded and matter-of-factly said, “Well yes, this young hard working man was trying to catch a break and I wanted to help him.” I couldn’t tell if my heart was breaking out of love for my grandfather or love for the gesture of kindness that my grandparents are both known for in this world. God bless them both.

My mother and I looked at each other and mouthed the word “wow” before my grandfather continued. “Well, he refused. He said he couldn’t accept such a grand offer and would take nothing above the $50 taxi fare.”

It was another long pause of awe. “That is an even greater personality trait than his dedicated work ethic,” my mom said, cutting through our thoughts. This young man, who we all prayed had found stability, success and happiness, left a deep lasting (40 years) impression upon my grandfather in one simple 10-15 minute ride.

“He was a genuine hard working man,” I said, as the conversation started to wind down. My grandfather was finishing up his orange, the typical after lunch dessert, and I just stared at him, like he were a breathtaking piece on display. I am related to two legends—my grandfather and grandmother—and I cannot imagine the forced goodbyes I have to compel out of me.

As he looked out our balcony and taking his last bite he said, “Tomorrow, I will tell you another story. Every day after lunch, I can share story after story.” So until the next one, I will savor every moment, every hug, every jaw-dropping act of kindness they bestow upon us in this beautiful place.